Friday, August 9, 2013

Best Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread for the Bread Machine!





After I posted my "Best Gluten Free Bread Ever! recipe my mom suggested I make one in the bread machine. I have never had much luck with that but thought I'd give it a try some time. My Aunt Nellie had given her a bread machine recipe that they liked and I based the format on her recipe but used my ingredients from "Best Gluten Free Bread Ever!". I used the Black and Dekker large bread machine.

Best Gluten Free Bread for the Bread Machine!
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups very warm water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 3/4 teaspoon yeast
2 tablespoons pysillium husk (available at bulk foods or health food stores)
1/4 cup flax
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup tapioca starch flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup teff flour
1/4 cup millet flour
2 1/2 teaspoons guar gum
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup milk powder
3 tablespoons sugar

Put ingredients in pan as in above order.  (I recommend mixing the flours together first and then adding in the order with the rest of the ingredients.) Because I use regular yeast (not bread machine yeast) I give a little stir with a spoon to mix the yeast into the wet ingredients.
I used the rapid bake cycle (2 hours) on the machine and chose the "dark" crust setting. I find it is important to bake gluten free bread for 50-60 minutes to make sure it is done in the center and does not collapse. If using a different bread machine check manual to use a setting that bakes for that length of time. Remove from pan after baking.
The gluten free dough does come together into a ball just like "wheat" based breads!

Dough rising in the pan.  Probably a good idea to wet hands and smooth the top at this point.
Just out of the machine.  Just a little flour on the sides.  
 

 

Nice texture for a gluten free loaf - tastes great!
Tip: If your dough hook can be removed - remove it after the last mixing period by using a spatula to move the dough over. This way you will not have a hole in your loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment