Friday, September 30, 2011

Barb's Green Relish

Neighbor Barb also gave me her great recipe for Green Relish.  The first time I made it I was suprised that it didn't look like store bought relish although it tasted like it.  I had some food colour in the pantry that I had purchased for adding to the kids homemade playdoh and luckily it was green. This was many years ago when I had young kids and everyone I knew made their own playdoh instead of buying it...... I added just a tiny bit and stirred it through.  It looked great - just like store bought.  I want to make this recipe again but the last two years we did not put in a garden.  My son and daughter-in-law have a large garden and are harvesting lots of cucumbers.  That is why I dug out these two recipes.  They gave me enough cukes to make dills, but I will have to hint that I would like enough to make a few jars of relish too.
Barb's Green Relish -makes 4 quarts
Ingredients:
10 4" cucumbers (they are just the dills grown too big)- about 1.5 kg
4 medium onions - 900 grams or 2 lbs
400 grams or 14 oz celery
2 red peppers- 1/2 lb or 225 grams
2 green peppers- 1/2 lb or 225 grams
1/4 cup pickling salt (coarse salt)
Put the vegetables through a food processor with blade or use coarse  shredder.  Place in large glass bowl or stainless steel pan.  Sprinkle the pick
ling salt over and put the lid on.
Let sit for 6-8 hours.
Drain well.
Sauce:
In large pot place:
3 cups white sugar
3 cups vinegar
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
Bring to a boil.  Add vegetables.  Simmer uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.  This is where you will add the tiny bit of green food colour if you choose.  Seal in clean hot canning (pint) jars.  Place in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Boiling water bath.  Put enough water into your canner that it will cover the jars.  Bring to a boil.  Place the jars into the canner.  Cover and boil for 10 minutes.  Remove jars and place on a towel placed on the counter.  Let cool.  You will hear the delightful "pings" as each jar seals.  If a jar does not seal - do not worry.  Just place it in the fridge to use first.

No comments:

Post a Comment